Modern style in interior design
Often non-experts confuse the concepts of modern style and modern style. But these are completely different things. Under the modernist specialists understand the powerful direction in the decorative and applied art of the early XX century. It has been studied in detail and has well-recognized features. As for the modern decor, it is free from strict rules and regulations. It also has the main features, but in general it is a very flexible system.
Why it works: A strong emphasis on lines and shapes (the two components of a brilliant design) determines the energy of the style. It is an interior of open spaces saturated with natural light and air. He does not tolerate confusion and chaos, every element is significant.
You will like this direction if … In the art galleries you are drawn into the halls of abstract painting. You have several books in your home that have the word “minimum” in their name. Heavy drapes cause claustrophobia. In your school years you were especially strong in geometry. Sometimes you want to hide things in tightly closed cabinets and completely paint the rooms white.
What is a modern style in the interior?
Design trends, not limited to a rigid set of expressive means, are a kind of antipode of the classics. Style denies its desire for decoration, a clear adherence to the canons.
Here, the concept of a comfortable and functional habitat dominates, where every detail is logically embedded in the context. The flow is characterized by minimalism. It is realized in focused attention on volumes, pronounced linearity, textures, which creates fertile ground for decorating experiments.
Beautiful interiors in modern style are a convenience for life, practicality in operation and aesthetics, based on designer trends.
1. At the head of the corner – simplicity and clarity. The main principle – the form does not overshadow the content. Hence the rejection of the catchy decor, rectilinear furniture design.
2. Maximum simplicity equals comfort. A neat finish in neutral colors creates a backdrop where you can equally focus on leisure, socializing or working.
3. The layout tends to create an open space, without complex structural elements, often with panoramic windows. A common solution is studio-style interior.
4. Restrained furnishing is an excellent setting for original accessories, art objects, conceptual artworks.
5. Here artificial and natural materials are equally relevant.
6. The modern style is denied the mannerism and intricacy that can be found, for example, in retro and ethnics. And when the situation is minimalistic, it is also beneficial from a practical point of view (in terms of time and financial costs for cleaning, furniture maintenance, etc.).
7. Design willingly modified into styles similar to the idea. Make the sofa upholstery look like a zebra skin, dilute the monotonous interior with paintings in silver frames, a pair of abstract sculptures – and get an art deco. Arrange lamps with metal fittings, vases-flasks, decorate furniture facades with shiny inserts, and the wall with an urban photo is ready for techno.
Strict orientation along the axes of coordinates and the three-dimensional structure of space, expressed in terms of lines, angles, planes, is the fundamental principle of design in actual design, from architecture to interior items.
But here, too, there is a place for freedom and creativity: you can vary the composition by including several smooth lines. Just let it be simple geometric shapes: a circle, a sphere, a cylinder. More intricate designs – the fate of the traditional design.
In the interior design of the townhouse, the role of such corrective elements is played by the chairs in the dining area.
Open space as a zoning principle
The layout of modern apartments and houses embodies the idea of open space. This means a minimum of partitions and the ability to use one room at the same time for different tasks: this is how a kitchen-dining room, living room-kitchen, living-room, bedroom-living room appear.
The organization of space by means of zoning will not give rise to a feeling of emptiness. As such tools are:
sliding transparent partitions;
Beautiful interiors of a private house in the village “Millennium Park” are built on a combination of open space and receptions of traditional and modern styles.
Floor, ceiling and walls
Description of the modern style in the interior will be incomplete without a story about the finish.
The wish for the flooring is to be smooth and uniform. For these purposes, suitable laminate, tile, natural stone, self-leveling floors. Natural shades are preferable: coffee, nut, milk, brandy. If it is wood, then light ash, maple, and dark wenge are good.
From the carpet, you can completely abandon or choose a product with an unusual texture (for example, the effect of wear), geometric pattern.